As I’ve described in previous posts, I have a love/hate relationship with my blackberry.
The divide seems to mostly stem from the fact that everyone in my professional life has an iPhone, and everyone in my personal life has a Blackberry. From 9-5 I hate my phone but from 5-9 I love bbming my closest friends. You just seem to chat more on bbm – sort of like life before smartphones, where you talk about things that don’t matter because it’s easier. Texting is just not the same, and you can’t convince me otherwise.
I felt lost this week with Blackberry’s service outage – completely lost. My $500 “smartphone” has become a $500 paperweight. I realized that no matter how much I love BBM, it’s not worth it anymore.
My biggest hurdle in making the switch is definitely Rogers. They locked me into a contract back in May with no hope of upgrading unless I’m willing to sacrifice a rent payment. Sigh.
Needless to say, when I figure out a loophole in this whole service provider money-grab – I will make the switch to iPhone. It saddens me, it’s like breaking up – but RIM has left me with no choice but to say goodbye and Rogers is like the relationship-therapist trying to force us to be together. It’s not me, it’s definitely you.
Breakin’ up is hard to do.
- Funniest tweets about the Blackberry outage crisis (telegraph.co.uk)
- One in five BlackBerry users considering switching to new supplier after service problems (telegraph.co.uk)
- BlackBerry’s outage post-mortem: Where did it all go wrong? (zdnet.com)
- Have You Been Hit By the BlackBerry Outage? [Qotd] (gizmodo.com)
- The Register – Comms: BlackBerry BBM, email offline AGAIN (go.theregister.com)